Led by Professor Mick Dodson AM, the National Centre for Indigenous Studies (NCIS) promotes and initiates cross-disciplinary research and teaching in a wide range of areas of relevance to Indigenous Australians. Through this research, NCIS aims to deepen Australia's understanding of Indigenous cultures and histories and ensure Indigenous knowledge, perspectives and experiences are respected, valued, accessed and incorporated into all learning environments at The Australian National University (ANU) and beyond.
NCIS staff and Higher Degree by Research (HDR) candidates are involved in a range of research projects across the field of Indigenous studies.
Acknowledgement of country
We acknowledge and celebrate the First Australians on whose traditional lands we meet and work, and whose cultures are among the oldest continuing cultures in human history.
Study at NCIS
Recent & forthcoming research outputs
- Adcock, Fleur, 'Leveraging the UN Special Procedures to implement the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous peoples', in: A. Erueti (ed.), Aotearoa and Implementation of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples – Theory and Practice, Victoria University Press, Wellington (forthcoming) pp:xxx. BOOK CHAPTER.
- Close, Sophia, 'Perceptions of development in Timorese communities', in: TBA (ed.), Proceedings of the 4th Timor-Leste Studies Association (TLSA) Research Conference 'Understanding Timor-Leste 2013' held at Liceu Campus, National University of Timor-Lorosae (UNTL), Dili, Timor-Leste, 15–16 July 2013, National University of Timor-Lorosa’e (UNTL), Díli, Timor-Leste (forthcoming) pp:xxx. BOOK CHAPTER.
- Chapman, Robert; Holmes, Miles; Kelly, Linda; Smith, Diane; Weepers, Jayne; Wright, Alyson (authored) 'Yakarra-pardija-pina: insights from a developmental approach to rebuilding governance in Aboriginal communities', Aboriginal Studies Press, Australian Institute of Aboriginal of Torres Strait Islander Studies' (AIATSIS), Canberra, ACT (forthcoming) xxx pages. BOOK.
- Adcock, Fleur, 'Diluted control: A critical analysis of the Wai262 report on Maori traditional knowledge and culture', in: M. Rimmer (ed.), Indigenous Intellectual Property: A Handbook of Contemporary Research, Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham (UK) and Northampton (Mass.) (forthcoming) pp:xxx. BOOK CHAPTER.
- Sullivan, Patrick, 'Farewell to the spirit of 1967 Inside Story', produced for the Inside Story, Canberra, ACT on 29 June 2016. 6. REPORT.
- Koch, Grace, 'LEGACY COLLECTIONS, THEIR VALUE AND THEIR ACCESSIBILITY', Journal of the International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archive, International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives, Vol.46, 2016, pp:. JOURNAL ARTICLE.