Welcome to the National Centre for Indigenous Studies
Led by Professor Mick Dodson AM, the National Centre for Indigenous Studies (NCIS) promotes and initiates cross-disciplinary research and teaching in a wide range of areas of relevance to Indigenous Australians. Through this research, NCIS aims to deepen Australia's understanding of Indigenous cultures and histories and ensure Indigenous knowledge, perspectives and experiences are respected, valued, accessed and incorporated into all learning environments at The Australian National University (ANU) and beyond.
NCIS staff and Higher Degree by Research (HDR) candidates are involved in a range of research projects across the field of Indigenous studies.
Acknowledgement of country
We acknowledge and celebrate the First Australians on whose traditional lands we meet, and whose cultures are among the oldest continuing cultures in human history.
Study at NCIS
Recent & forthcoming research outputs
- Close, Sophia, 'Perceptions of development in Timorese communities', in: TBA (ed.), Proceedings of the 4th Timor-Leste Studies Association (TLSA) Research Conference 'Understanding Timor-Leste 2013' held at Liceu Campus, National University of Timor-Lorosae (UNTL), Dili, Timor-Leste, 15–16 July 2013, National University of Timor-Lorosa’e (UNTL), Díli, Timor-Leste (forthcoming) pp:xxx. BOOK CHAPTER.
- Adcock, Fleur, 'Diluted control: A critical analysis of the Wai262 report on Maori traditional knowledge and culture', in: M. Rimmer (ed.), Indigenous Intellectual Property: A Handbook of Contemporary Research, Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham (UK) and Northampton (Mass.) (forthcoming) pp:xxx. BOOK CHAPTER.
- Wensing, Ed, 'Book Review', review of Reclaiming Indigenous Planning by Ryan Walker, Ted Jojola & David Natcher, Urban Policy and Research, 20 June 2014, pp:1-5. LITERARY REVIEW.
- Adcock, Fleur, 'Indigenous rights ritualism: overcoming States’ deviance from Indigenous rights norms', presented at the Law and Society Association Annual Meeting on 1 June 2014. Minneapolis, MN, USA. CONFERENCE PAPER.
- Guthrie, Jill; Lovell, Melissa, 'Future-proofing the ACT justice system', Sydney Morning Herald, 29 May 2014. Retrieved 3 June 2014. ONLINE CONTENT.
- Adcock, Fleur, 'Aotearoa (New Zealand)', in: C. Mikkelsen (ed.), The Indigenous World 2014, International Work Group for Indigenous Affairs (IWGIA), Copenhagen, 2014, pp:223-230. BOOK CHAPTER.