Welcome to the National Centre for Indigenous Studies
Led by Professor Mick Dodson AM, the National Centre for Indigenous Studies (NCIS) promotes and initiates cross-disciplinary research and teaching in a wide range of areas of relevance to Indigenous Australians. Through this research, NCIS aims to deepen Australia's understanding of Indigenous cultures and histories and ensure Indigenous knowledge, perspectives and experiences are respected, valued, accessed and incorporated into all learning environments at The Australian National University (ANU) and beyond.
NCIS staff and Higher Degree by Research (HDR) candidates are involved in a range of research projects across the field of Indigenous studies.
Acknowledgement of country
We acknowledge and celebrate the First Australians on whose traditional lands we meet, and whose cultures are among the oldest continuing cultures in human history.
Study at NCIS
Recent & forthcoming research outputs
- Close, Sophia, 'Perceptions of development in Timorese communities', in: TBA (ed.), Proceedings of the 4th Timor-Leste Studies Association (TLSA) Research Conference 'Understanding Timor-Leste 2013' held at Liceu Campus, National University of Timor-Lorosae (UNTL), Dili, Timor-Leste, 15–16 July 2013, National University of Timor-Lorosa’e (UNTL), Díli, Timor-Leste (forthcoming) pp:xxx. BOOK CHAPTER.
- Guthrie, Jill; Lovell, Melissa, 'Future-proofing the ACT justice system', Sydney Morning Herald, 29 May 2014. Retrieved 3 June 2014. ONLINE CONTENT.
- Bamblett, Lawrence, 'Picture who we are: representations of identity and the appropriation of photographs into a Wiradjuri oral history tradition', in: J. Lydon (ed.), Calling the shots; Aboriginal photographies, Aboriginal Studies Press, Canberra, ACT, 2014, pp:76-100. BOOK CHAPTER.
- Wensing, Ed, 'Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people's relationships to 'Country'', in: J. Byrne, N. Sipe and J. Dodson (eds.), Australian environmental planning: Challenges and future prospects, Routledge, London & N.Y., 2014, pp:9-20. BOOK CHAPTER.
- Fogarty, William; Dodson, Mick, 'Submission to the Northern Territory Indigenous Education Review', submitted to the Northern Territory Government Department of Education, Northern Territory on 19 March 2014. 8 pages. SUBMISSION.
- Fforde, Cressida; Bamblett, Lawrence; Lovett, Ray; Gorringe, Scott; Fogarty, William, 'Discourse, deficit and identity: Aboriginality, the race paradigm and the language of representation in contemporary Australia', Media International Australia, Vol.149, 2013, pp:162-173. JOURNAL ARTICLE.