Dr Michael Pickering
Honorary Associate Professor
B.A.(Hons) (La Trobe University)
Litt.B. (The Australian National University )
PhD (La Trobe University)
T 02 6208 5243
Michael Pickering is currently a Senior Curatorial with the National Museum of Australia
Following an Honours degree from La Trobe University, Michael Pickering worked for the Western Australian Aboriginal Sites Department for two years as an archaeologist. He then completed a Bachelor of Letters at ANU whilst working as a consultant archaeologist and anthropologist. He went on to work as an anthropologist for the Central Land Council and then the Northern Land Council. Dr Pickering was the Regional Officer for the Central Australian region of the Aboriginal Areas Protection Authority in the Northern Territory while completing his PhD at La Trobe University. He worked as a Research Officer on Native Title for Aboriginal Affairs Victoria and then as Head Curator for the Indigenous Cultures program of Museum Victoria. He moved to the National Museum of Australia as the Director of the Repatriation Program, later taking on the role of Head of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Program. He then became a Senior research Fellow and subsequently Head of the Museum’s Research Centre.
Dr Pickering is a member of the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS). He has previously been a member of the Collections Council of Australia Expert panel on repatriation and has recently been a member of an ethics panel convened by the 9/11 memorial Museum in New York. Dr Pickering is on the editorial boards of the journals 'Museum Management and Curatorship' and ‘Museums and Social Issues’. He has twice received an Australian Public Service Australia Day Achievement medal.
- Pickering, M. 2018 Cannibalism in the Ethnographic Record. In Hillary Callan, 2018 The International Encyclopedia of Anthropology, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Pickering, M. 2017 Up Close and Personal: The management of sensitive Indigenous objects at the National Museum of Australia. In Anna-Maria Brandstetter and Vera Hierholzer (eds) 2017 Nicht nur Raubkunst! Sensible Dinge in Museen und wissenschaftlichen Sammlungen V & R Unipress Mainz University Press
- Pickering, M. 2017 A Helping Hand? Comments on the "Recommendations for the Care of Human Remains in Museums and Collections" by the Deutscher Museumsbund (German Museums Association) by Michael Pickering. Forum: Human Remains in Museums and Collections. A Critical Engagement with the “Recommendations“ of the German Museums Association (2013), In: H-Soz-Kult, 06.02.2017,
- Pickering, M. 2016 Colonial Legacies: Is Repatriation of Remains an Act of Postcolonial Justice? Gigi Adair and Anja Schwartz (Eds.) 2016 Post Colonial Justice in Australia: Reassessing the ‘Fair Go’. WVT Wissenschaftlicher Trier (KOALAS; Vol 12. Pp; 29-44).
- Pickering, M. 2015 The Big Picture: the repatriation of Australian Indigenous sacred objects. Museum Management and Curatorship Vol 30 (5)